Study: LGBTI Comorbidity study
Background: LGBTI people experience a number of specific risk factors for substance use and mental health problems, including elevated social stigmatisation and social stress, lower levels of parental support, and higher rates of abuse and victimisation. LGBTI people have higher rates of substance use and mental health problems, and are more likely to have comorbid disorders. However, we know little about LGBTI people’s experiences of seeking and receiving treatment.
This study aims to engage substance use services with a high caseload of LGBTI people to explore service users’ and clinical staff experiences with receiving and providing treatment for substance use and mental health problems. We are conducting this research to improve access and delivery of substance use and mental health treatment for LGBTI people. The research is being conducted by researchers at University of Sydney and The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, in partnership with ACON.
Tasks: The researcher will be responsible for managing and conducting data collection, specifically:
- Conducting interviews with 10 x LGBTI AOD service users and 10 x AOD treatment providers
- Screening potential participants using eligibility screener questionnaires
- Scheduling interviews and arranging travel reimbursement (for service users)
- Consenting participants, referring to additional support services if required (referral list supplied)
- Managing interview transcription and quality checking
- Monitoring recruitment targets and liaising with the research team
- Ensuring contact details and interview records are kept secure and confidential
- Qualitative social/health research
- Semi-structured or narrative interviews
- Mental health or alcohol and other drugs service provision or research (ideally interviewing)
- Interviewing or working with LGBTI people
Pay rate: $50.20 per hour (Level 5/1 professional staff)
Duration: 100 hours in total across June, July, August.
Contact: For further details please send me your CV and brief responses to the selection criteria – Julie.MooneySomers AT sydney.edu.au
Applications must be received by 9am Monday 20 May 2019